Worm Hole | Lonely Journal | Dead Journal | Multiply
your info here:


The Pleiades

Archives August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

According to the dictates of the Roman Catholic Calendar, the lenten season is upon us once again. While this week signifies repentance, sacrifice, etcetera etcetera, to many Filipinos, it signifies the many pretense my parents have of me.

The celebration of palm sunday is the beginning of my week-long act. As many of you already know, I am no longer a Catholic in practice. I haven't been one for the last six or seven years of my life. I choose not to go over the details of my turnaround because there was no actual turning point. There were several instances, several discoveries, several books and several insights that snowballed, rolled down the hill and bowled me over.
Sure, I believe that there is such a thing as a supreme deity but I refuse to believe that any religion offers a better way to whatever is out there. I am taking the stance of William James when it comes to believing in God. Like William James, I believe that I have more to gain than lose by believing that there is, as Thomas Aquinas would put it, a Prime Mover. Because of the "cash value" of this belief, I would have to take a "leap of faith", and use that belief as a precedent for all my actions.

As such, I believe in such things as the greater good, and thou shall not kill... but this is only because these beliefs have a greater cash value than religion.

So why do I not believe in religion?

I have weighed religion against many things in my life and for most part, everything far outwieghs religion.

True, the act of benevolence may have come from Christianity but oppression of women also has its roots in it. True, the idea of acting like a saint came from Catholicism, but idolatry came with it.

As a student of philosophy, I have therefore chosen to believe in something that fails pragmatically (which is sadly just one reason why I do not believe in being a catholic).

When I get the chance, I would probably discuss how religion fails in logic.

The Lonely Joker who stares too deeply & too much at 6:30 PM

0 Comments:



I am the lonely joker who stares too deeply and too much.